Sunday, August 1, 2010

Giving back...

A few days ago I started a job as a mentor at the Seattle Juvenile Detention Center. It amazed me what people do at such a young age, some people practice their skills in classrooms, athletic venues, and some practice theirs with negotiating a drug trade, or putting their minds together to get into someone’s house and taking things that do not belong to them before they wake up or can hear them. It made me highly uncomfortable to see kids/teenagers walking into a courtroom handcuffed and others sitting in court showing the emotion that they just don’t care what happens next. At times I felt like grabbing them and shaking them hoping they open their eyes and see that there’s a world out there. I also thought of my little brother and what I would have done if that were him. I left the courtroom and spent the rest of the day thinking of ways to better myself. I’ve realize it starts with the people I surround myself, and personal actions.

No comments:

Post a Comment